Going through the exercise of converting a Visual Studio Installer for a web application into a Wix 3.0 installer. I have found several resources which have been invaluable so far: First, is Jon Torresdal's invaluable WiX and DTF series, which has quite detailed instructions on how to develop Wix 3.0 installers in general, and web installers in particular. My application consists of two different IIS applications with several hundred content files. Hand-coding the reference to each file would be unthinkable, and unmaintainable, so I had to come up with a solution which would automate the construction of the Component/File hierarchy from web deployment project's output filesystem structure. I did this by adding a pre-build step to the main Wix project, which does this: - Run a tool which creates two .wxi files by recursing through the web applications filesystem structure. The tool I used is an xml preprocessor based on the one I wrote for CruiseControl.net , however you could ...
Comments